Sunday, January 9, 2011

From "Fearless Faith" by AP

This is an excerpt from something Andrew Peterson posted on the Rabbit Room last year at Christmas. I've read it so many times I could probably have it memorized without too much effort. It's a great example of something that is both said well and worth saying. Read the whole thing here.

"Those walking in darkness have seen a great light, said the prophet Isaiah of Jesus’ triumphant arrival. Here is a great mystery: that very light lives in us. In the streets of our Bethlehem, a child has been born. On the hill of our sin a man has been crucified. In the garden tomb of our hearts that man has risen and proved that he was also God all along. What have we to fear? Nothing. Yea, though I walk through the grief of my loss, through the confusion of my suffering, through the powerful sadness of getting out of bed when all seems lost, I will not fear, for he is with me. As I walk through the city, as I struggle to follow, as I pay my bills, as I fill my tank and feed my children, I will not fear. Though enemies plot, though the bombs are tested, though the nations rage, though all Hell break loose–I will not fear. He is with me."

Thanks, AP.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, here are a few more writers I can vouch for as "authors who have cared for words." They will probably all show up in my posts: Andrew Peterson, Wendell Berry, J.K. Rowling, Marilyn Chandler McEntyre, Eugene Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! A good thought. I am not in one of those valleys right now, but I know some who are. When I pray for them, I will pray they'll know no fear.

    ReplyDelete